月曜日, 2月 27

Karuta (かるた)

Karuta (かるた), the legendary art of playing cards or as my kids seem to think...the art of slapping every card visible in the hopes that one of them is right. So how it works is a topic is chosen with different vocabulary, cards are made using pictures, words, or symbols. My elementary school kids go ballistic when it's karuta time. I call out a word in English and then they must be the first to slap that same card with their cute little pudgy hands. Seems innocent enough at first, until a kid falls out of his seat and cuts open his lip (as happened today) or the bully of the group takes the card out of the timid girl's hand or there is one child in the group who has advanced English skills...which ruins it for the other kids.
"Rock, scissors, paper" is the only way to settle a dispute over who gets the winning card...but then again it's about the only way to settle any dispute in Japan. Here's a cutie shot of 3 year old Aran, my friend's son, who I tried to play original Japanese karuta with...he was a fast sucker!!! That and I could barely read out the Japanese fast enough on the hint cards to him...but he didn't mind. I love kids!!

0 件のコメント: