水曜日, 11月 23

Happy Labor Thanksgiving Day

I awoke at 7:30am to the sound of the loudspeaker, a mower, and some birds tweeting their happy song. Couldn't quite say what the harsh, militant voice on the speaker was saying...but I'm sure it must have been something to the tune of "Enjoy your wonderful Japanese Labor Thanksgiving Day everyone!!!!" Or at least that's what I imagined... and then the ding, ding, ding, ding in lowering degrees of musical notes as the loudspeaker announcement came to a close.

Today is a VACATION DAY!!! November 23rd. Close enough to my American Thanksgiving holiday that it feels quite nice. So what does one do on a holiday in Japan you might ask?? Let's find out....

I was overly excited as I looked out the window and saw blue sky!! The case being rain, sleet, and snow for the past week or more...I couldn't wait to get some of that sun on my face. So I had the fancy idea to take my longer trek walk, which winds its way out into the "inaka" or countryside and takes me about 1 1/2 hours. I'm gonna take ya along too...so you can see a walk-in-the-life of Sarah. I was a bit disheartened as I headed out because the sky was quickly changing to its wintery dullness and overcast skies. I was so wanting to get a fabulous shot of Iwakisan with its snowcapped peaks...but anyways here we go!! (Click on image to see bigger and better ka-pow!)

These guys sure weren't takin' a holiday...they weren't so sure about me takin' their picture either even when I asked in my nice Kansan accent, but the farmers are amazing...they go non-stop. This wall stencil always reminds me of KFC Colonel Sanders...maybe you want your haircut like his?? Some apples...guessing the sign says "not so good". A temple decked out in some holiday splendor. Which way should I go?? More people at work...government employees taking a go at the roadwork. The winter weather plant protection is in its teepee splendor. My favorite vending machine...even if it's been out of order for years. A traditional house w/ storage house attached...it's rumored kids were sent to the store house as punishment back in the days(it's totally devoid of windows and has thick, impenetrable walls). Some awesome hanging fruit ("mikan" or mandarin oranges)...I just really liked the colors!! Aomori water- scary that it's blessed by the emperor as the cleanest and best tasting in Japan. The raccoon says "Take care!!" and I think he also says something about "Don't pick up hitchhikers!!" hahaha...but I could be wrong. Finally a view of Mt. Iwaki...hazy and drab, but ultimately that is my memory of winter in Japan...at least until the pure white hits...then that brightens things up a bit.

I love the color of cars here...and the porch decorations. In case I wanna soda or drink on the way...not to fear...there's a vending machine every block. That's me in the mirror...winter clad. The last of the pretty leaves. I always feel sorry for this poor doggy...so sad...but maybe he enjoys the apple orchard view like me. Finally, someone is onto this holiday thing with a patriotic flag. I always wanted a picture of a funeral car...they are the most gaudy things I've ever seen...I for one can't even conceive of why you would wanna take your last ride in this, especially the gold....give us some silver already!! Home sweet home. Some Vitamin C drops for that red, cold, runny nose!! And wouldn't ya know, as soon as I got home, the sky cleared into blue again and left me wanting to go for another try at that Mt. Iwaki picture...well, maybe next holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving familia y friends!!!

5 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Mi querida,
I am always amazed at how you work your camera images onto the computer like you do, but you can teach me and then I will be able to do it, too!....if I would get a camera that would do that!
I like that idea of hanging oranges on a rope. Let's do that, too, when you get home!
Aren't broken down vending machines charming? And other old things that have gone the course and served their masters..like old metal buckets, kitchen utensils, garden clippers..... I like old things.
I am very happy that you get to have a Thanksgiving Day there with your church friends. And soon you will be home!
Love, Mother

swirlogirl さんのコメント...

those pics are amazing! the shot of the mountain is soooo cool. i enjoy these adventures... and happy thanksgiving!

Sarah Lizzy Beth さんのコメント...

Everything is charming w/ a bit of rust...especially my favorite wall in Hakodate, my favorite barn outside Gosho, and my dream art studio back home...remember that old storage building by the railroad tracks that i made up the floor plan, the entranceway, and everything hahaha..."Stop and smell the flowers!"

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hi Sarah. Such cute pics. But you are making me homesick!!! Today I had my first ever warm Thanksgiving--75 degrees outside. weird. Love your blog, keep it up!! btw, when is your baptism?
Happy Thanksgiving!
Autumn

Sarah Lizzy Beth さんのコメント...

Woahhh, 75 F doesn´t sound too bad at the moment as I´m typing in my winter duds...I´m still waiting to find or maybe invent a heated-mouse or mousepad. Yeah chica, my baptism is DECEMBER 4th!!!! Please keep me in ur prayers. I miss ur smile and Japan misses you guys too!!!