水曜日, 11月 16

Tea Ceremony Plz!


I had the honored opportunity to take part in an introduction to Japanese tea ceremonies with my 3rd grade students. It's easy to say they are one of my favorite classes even though they began the year on my negative list with the at times craziness of a room packed with 38 squirming, excited kids who have the tendency to yell, grab, or fall out of their seats for any given reason. For many of my little ones it was the first time to taste the time-honored "maccha" or green tea used especially for tea ceremonies. It has a rather sharp, bitter, frothy, thick taste and goes best with a lil' bit of sweet (like of course everything in life) and so it's paired with some "okashi" or Japanese candies. The linoleum floor and florescent lights hardly detracted from my kids excitement at seeing the tea whisked into a foam and the Sensei's lack of kimono attire was quickly overlooked in the frenzy to get some of the before mentioned candies.

This having been my fourth time participating in a tea ceremony, the thing I enjoyed most was watching my kids’ faces and seeing their reactions to the taste. There was plenty of smacking of lips and slapping at hands to quit drinking so much already!! We each were situated in groups of four and had a soup-sized bowl to share our helping of tea. I was quickly offered up the first go at our bowl...and it is easy to say I declined further offers in the hopes of avoiding the unavoidable colds of all my kids this year. In future classes we will be taught the specifics of how to behave in a tea ceremony...this will go over fabulously I'm sure. After all, who doesn't love the feeling of your legs falling asleep after sitting on your knees for what seems like hours and that tingling sensation and lack of coordination upon standing...can't wait!!! Part II coming soon!!!

Green tongue swweeeeet!!!

0 件のコメント: